Progressivism is a Cult
Progressives see the world and human nature as malleable. That "experts" being in power they can create a paradise here and now. They can perfect people. After 100 years there is no proof of this anywhere. In fact just the opposite as Progressivism tends towards tyranny and extremism.
In 2020 the Chinese Corona Virus has brought out the authoritarian nature of liberals.
Note that here Progressive and Liberal refer to the same thing even though Liberal was once very different from Progressive.
According to Michael P. Federici notes how Progressivism has many characteristics of a religion:
The philosophical fathers of Progressivism include Francis Bacon, Hegel, Marx, Comte, Rousseau, Condoret, Bentham, Mill and Edward Bellamy... One of the main characteristics of these thinkers' Progressivism was its pseudo spirituality, or relation of humanity. In this substitute religion, faith in a transcendent moral order is replaced by faith in nature, science, technology, and reason.
This faith also involves a sort of humanitarian sentimentalism that attempts to satisfy an inner desire to serve mankind and the world by engaging in reforms meant to uplift the less fortunate. Yet these reforms are not intended to effect inner spiritual reform, but rather to change institutions and thus improve society through outer reform. Conservatives argue that progressive humanitarianism is both a diversion and escape from individual moral responsibility.
Progressivism also includes the idea that human perfectibility is possible in history. This doctrine holds that it is unnecessary to wait for the afterlife for human perfection; the fulfillment of human nature can take place in earthly life. Scientific progressives, like Bacon, believe that progress is a predicate of scientific knowledge and technological developments. Social progressives, like Croly, believe that human nature can be transformed through political reform...
Progressivism is intimately tied to modern liberalism and the politics of the welfare state, which holds that the transformation of society can only be achieved by a centralized government that has sufficient power to remake society...
Finally, Progressivism has in it a gnostic element. That is, progressives believe that they possess the knowledge needed to transform society and human nature. They are greatly dissatisfied with the world as it is and are impatient with life and the very structure of reality because these fall short of perfection or the progressive ideal. These gnostic attributes are part of an existential disposition that fails to accept the permanence of evil in earthly life - in theological terms, original sin.
By contrast, most conservatives believe that the structure of reality, including human nature, is permanent. Attempts to transform the human condition end up in disaster, as Huxley and Orwell suggest in their dystopias Brave New World (1932) and Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)...
Here again lies the underlying assumption of Progressivism: evil is the result of a poorly organized world. Reorganization of the world in accordance with progressive ideas will usher in a new age of freedom, equality, and peace.
From: American Conservatism: An Encyclopedia and Michael P. Federici.
- African Americans Worth $8 in Liberal Boston
- Liberal California Poverty Capital of America
- Working Class Whites Banned by Harvard Elite
- Jews Over Represented at Elite Colleges?
- Working Poor in Southwest Virginia Bristol
- Violence Rocks Philadelphia and Norfolk Virginia
- National Elite Use Race to Cover Greed, Class Conflict
- Disproportionate Black Crime
- Progressivism is a Cult
- Dissecting Deism Past and Present
- Why Climate Isn't About Science But Political Power
- How Progressives Ruin Education
- Green Socialism a Threat to Liberty
- Pushing Back Against Political Correctness Censorship
- Michigan Education Ruined by Identity Politics
- Illegal Immigration Success in Arizona
- Defining Religion in American Politics
- Off-the-Shelf Technology for Space Exploration
- Technology Creates Jobs, Saves the Planet
- Article List
- Restoring Reason
- Applying Reason
- Why Many People Shouldn't Get a 4-Year Degree
- Intelligence Predicts Economic Social Outcome
- Michigan Education System Ruined by Diversity
- Foreign Students Displace American Students
- Affirmative Action Fails Unqualified Minorities
- Requiring a College Degree to Clean Toilets
The following are gateway pages to my three websites.
- Off Site:
- Web Master
- Tri-Cities VA-TN
- General Science
- Hobby Electronics
- US Constitution
- Christianity 101
- Religious Themes
- Guestbook Archive
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.